Sunday, August 22, 2010

Concerning Paga and parasites

I know, I know, I was supposed to blog more often and what not, but this time I have a legit excuse. Let me tell the story. (Although I don't have that much time, so it'll be a small small story.)

So, Saturday I went to Paga with my host family. We saw the crocodiles, we touched them, sat on them, etc, etc, which was incredibly scary and also felt a little like animal abuse. Pictures - in which I smile with scared eyes - will be online as soon as I'm back home.

We also went to the slave camp, which was surprisingly run by Ghanainans, not Europeans. While it doesn't justify what we did so many years ago, it does put things a little in perspective - Africans themselves apparently maintained slave trade... It was incredibly interesting. We saw the Punishment Rock, the Musical Rock, the Dinner Rock (in which bowls were carved), etc, etc. Paga is a rocky village.

Sunday I stayed home, while the host family went to Wa - after the week in Kids Ward, I needed some time to myself, and I was also tired. So, I did nothing all day, which turned out to be blissfully boring, and recharged my battery.

Until Monday, when I woke up a bit headachy, and during the morning at work I also got a bit stomach achy, and when I biked back to my host family I got a bit rib painy. And since I work(ed) at the hospital, I happened to know that rib pains are a sign of malaria. So to the lab I went, and they took my blood, and they examined it. And it turned out that those d*mned parasites had invaded my red blood cells, and my liver, which caused me to feel a little sick.

I bought some medication, stayed home for a day, felt better, and returned to work. However, I did not have the feeling it was totally gone, but I still had two pills to take, so whatever. After those two pills, though, I started feeling headachy and nauseous and kind of like before again, so on Thursday I once again went to the lab, and they took my blood, and they examined it. And I still had malaria.

I bought new medication, and this time it worked - right now I'm as healthy as can be after a day of traveling.

And just for the record: no one needs to worry. I did not once have a fever, I felt better than if I would have gotten the flu, or a nasty cold. It's just not a pleasant idea that I have (or had, at this point) parasites in my body, but then again, when you're sick, there are bacteria or viruses - not much better. And I'm better now, so if you'd start worrying right now, it would be a waste of your time, to be honest.

Yesterday I spent the majority of my time packing my bags, and doing my last "chores". And today I left my host family (after going to church with them at 6:30, ugh). I'm really going to miss them. I actually cried a little on leaving, can you believe it? (Ella: "... and then I cried!") I gave Bless a ball today, and when he saw it he started screaming, he was SO happy. And the entire family signed a card for me, so cute. But, I'll be able to call them, and I'll definitely do that. They really want to have some pictures, too, so I'll send those too.

I took a tro-tro to Tamale, where I am right now. Tomorrow at 7 we have the bus to Kumasi, and then the real touristy part of my journey can begin! I'm looking forward to it, and also to going back home. It's been a long time since I've seen friends and family, and I want to show them pictures, and tell them stories, and give them my gifts. But, only 2,5 more weeks! Time flies!

As for this blog: I don't know whether I'll be able to update it while traveling. If not, I'll give a brief overview when I'm back home, so you won't miss any of the most important stories.

And now: dinner!

Love from Ghana, as always, Jonneke

No comments:

Post a Comment